Mac (OSX) favorite apps

Here are some apps that I recommend:

iTerm2 , for ssh sessions
Spectacle , for managing my windows
Send to Kindle App , for sending PDF's, Word etc. documents to my Kindle device
Air Video Server , for sending videos to my iOS devices
Caffeine , for not making my Macbook Pro go into sleep mode all the time (it will still shut down when closed!)
Dropbox , for syncing important files
Keka , for extracting files
VirtualBox , running virtual machines for free. I actually like the program a lot and also use it on my Linux boxes.
Calibre , for transferring books to my Kindle
Sonos controller , for controlling my Sonos speakers (obviously!)
Spotify , for music in a legal way (unfortunately some songs are not avail. in my country due to copyright)
Netflix (website), for movies (unfortunatly some movies are not avail. in my country due to copyright)
Google+ Hangouts (it's more like a website :), but I have the Chrome extension)
Skype , a great video / chat client. It's not perfect and I've started preferring Google Hangouts. It has less echo and I have similar features.
Wunderlist , I use this for TODO lists
VLC , the perfect video player for Mac, Windows and iOS devices (I love it!)
Little Snitch 3 , I use this for blocking traffic
Bittorrent Sync , I use this for sharing files between my computers. It can also send large files in the internal network. For instance to iOS devices, if you want to share a video, you want to display with VNC or to transfer images from your iPhone to your computer.

Other apps that may be useful:
MacPaw Gemini , for finding duplicate files (an alternative is the free FindSpace app)
Bitcasa, for storing files that are not as important OR does not fit my harddrive. Their clients does not work very well, unfortunately.
UnRarX , extracting RAR files on OSX
Parallels Desktop for Mac , for running Windows on Mac. I still think it's the best, but be warned, there are lots of problems and the software is just too expensive. Plus you have to pay continuously for upgrades. Maybe you will not be able to upgrade your OSX, without also paying for an upgrade of Parallels Desktop :-S

Developer stuff:
Sqlite3 , I recommend this small database for C#, Python etc. projects that have low concurrency and just needs a small simple database.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby weirdness

Running LXD/LXC on WSL2 with Ubuntu 20.04

Installing pikvm on raspberry pi zero 2 w